Monday, May 11, 2015

Backdating Korea March 2014, Day 7 (Isadong, Namsangil Hanok Village, Gangnam)

(Backdating my first ever solo Korean trip from 22 Mar to 29 Mar 2014)

Day 7:

Last day in Korea. Woke up naturally at 7.30am and found that I was amongst the earlier riser in the jimjilbang! Had another round of wet spa soaking before heading out to find Isadong. It proved to be a tall task as I went about the wrong directions! When I finally reached Isadong, I was famished! Had a bowl of ox tail soup with dumpling and walked around. Isadong was not as impressive as Bukchon as it is more commercialized.  But it has narrower alleys which made a more interesting walk.










ox tail soup


Next up, Namsangil Hanok Village. It is like a mini Korea of cultural buildings from all over the country. Nice place to visit if you are rushing for time.  It's also the place my SLR battery went flat. Had to reply on my back up iPhone camera.  Having explored all places I've planned to visit, I returned to Myeongdong for some last minute shopping. This is the place I burst my average $100 per day budget!!











Feeling so tired, I had to find a place to take an afternoon nap. My back was aching for a rest after 7 days of wondering around and minimal sleep. Plus, the tiredness was giving me a nauseous gut.  Headed for the very touristy Dragon Hill Spa at Yongsan station. I was quite impressed when I first visited it 2 years ago. This time round having experienced other jimjilbang, I found Dragon Hill somewhat tacky and lacking. Nonetheless I fell into an hour's sleep in the oxygen room.

After 3.5 hrs of relaxation, I headed out to Apgujeong Station in the Gangnam area feeling sick and heavy headed. Yes, this is the place that inspired the global hit song! A little disappointed as the place looked rather normal and dead, even on a Friday night at 10pm. Caught up with Christina for one last time over coffee before heading back to Siloam Sauna.  This was when I found out I had dropped my metro card!


A very rushed rest at the jimjilbang with less than 4 hrs of sleep before waking up at 4.30am to prep myself. Was so surprised to find many people at the wet area and many more pouring into the sauna! Koreans really do not sleep!

Dragged myself to pick up my locker which is now filled with the sweet fragrance of fresh strawberries.  They were a bit pressed, jus hope they can last the journey home, the Korean melons were no issue due to the hard exterior.  Caught the 5.30am train and thought it would be empty. How wrong I was! Koreans really do not sleep in on a weekend! Many elderly boarded half way with the intention to hike in the Incheon area!!




All in all, a true adventure trip. Almost missed my flight by the whisker, waited at Incheon for 8 hours for my luggage to arrive on the next flight, lost my eye and ear plugs when I needed them most, unexpected strenuous hiking and long distance cycling, dropped my SLR thumb pad, burst my targeted budget, dropped my subway card, and insufficient sleeps. But it was also a self challenging trip and I was impressed by my ability to navigate Korea with very little spoken English. Also, met many friendly Koreans who offered me drinks and food. 

I'll back back again Korea!

No comments: