Monday, May 11, 2015

2014 Year of Travels (London, Melaka, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, Penang, Spain, Brisbane, Sydney, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur)

I kept repeating myself with each of my annual travel summary entry that that was the year of travelling, but 2014 really did see me traveling to A LOT of places.

First up, and already posted in my entry was a work trip to London via SIA first class.. probably my only opportunity to travel in style in the near future.  The 2 nights' stay saw me scrambling to visit some important sites I've missed from my first trip, and also catching up with my dear Silke!!








With not much time for planning, February was a simple affair, driving up to Melaka over CNY period.





As March loomed, I found myself trying to clear my annual leave.  I went for a short 3 nights stay in HK with an old pal and enjoyed some local delights.





March then took me on my first solo trip to Korea where I cycled over 50km, tackled a mountain trail, gobbled down an overwhelming amount of seafood, and of course, catching up with my dear Christina!!





Then came April when I flew to Taiwan to celebrate my birthday.  It was a very happy trip not because of my birthday, but because I tendered my resignation letter just 1 day prior to my trip.  The trip was filled with hot springs galore, especially nice with the spring weather.  I went all the way down to GuanZhiLing for the famous mud bath.  I reckon I've had at least 8-10 hot spring dips during that trip alone!!






In the span of 4 months I've travelled to 5 different countries, so May was 100% work.. It was definitely a difficult period as I had tendered and office politics were very sensitive (still is now).  Days felt like weeks.. but I finally ploughed through the month of May.

First week of June saw me jetting off to Penang, only my 3rd trip there so far.  Stayed with Miwa and had great fun over there.



June also saw me admiring the wonderful architectures of Madrid and Barcelona as I utilised my staff benefits and holidayed Spain for 6 nights.  It was one of the most magical experience to finally stepped into the Unfinished Cathedral.







With Spain, I was in count down mood with only 1 week left.  On my last day of work, I left early and headed for the airport for my most eagerly awaited trip, a trip that was 10 years in the planning.  I returned to Australia.  First stop was Sunshine Coast, followed by Brisbane and then Sydney.  I caught up with so many friends and reminiscing on the landscape that barely changed.  It was one of the most fun trip with the best meals ever!!  This was also my first FB documented trip where I posted almost everything I've experienced!! https://www.facebook.com/derold




the 3 residences I stayed during my 3 years in Brisbane






After Australia, it was a short drive to Melaka for a relaxing break by the sea before the start of a new job with Philips.  And within a month, I was sent to Shanghai for taking over session.  Oh Shanghai, the last time I walked her streets was back in 2007.. How things have changed!  I returned to Shanghai again in November for another regional meeting session.



my room in Shanghai

xiao yang shen jian bao... oh how i missed your flavours





@ Colliers 20th Anniversary in Shanghai party with my peers 


Finally, December came and I could take my leave again since my probation is over.  First up was KL for a short 3 nights' stay... And then I flew back to Taiwan for Xmas and NY Countdown!! haha.. 2013 saw me flying to Bangkok twice and for 2014 I flew Taiwan twice.  2015 probably flying Bangkok twice again!! LOL

coach to KL

Japanese at Mid Valley Mall

HSR from Taipei to Tainan



yes, mud spring again!!!





So there, with 13 stamps to my passport (3 of them for work though), I can safely announce that 2014 was truly the year of travelling.  New cities visited were Gyeongju, Busan, GuanZhiLing, Barcelona, Madrid, Segovia, and Tainan.  It was not a bad year :)


No comments: