Thursday, May 14, 2015

2015, start of a new year with Tokyo

2015 began in the city of Taipei where I spent 1 full day shopping and eating before flying back to Singapore the following day.

Upon returning to Singapore, it was a fury of mammoth work tasks and piling stresses.  I was starting to get the hang of working at my new company and its demands.  But first, planning a very packed trip to Japan for February.

I've never been to Japan, and was naturally excited about my first trip.  With the meetings planned on Monday and Tuesday, I'd decided to fly in on a Saturday morning to maximize my available time there.



6 Feb came, and I went to the airport with great anticipation.  I was mentally and physically tired from 2 consecutive weeks of overloaded working, but the excitement kept me up.  On board, I had the best ever SIA economy meals (supper and breakfast)!  I couldn't sleep though as it was too short a flight to sleep (approximately 5 hours plus).



Finally landed at Haneda Airport, just in time to catch the sun rise!  How appropriate, arriving in the Land of the Rising Sun at dawn!!  Very efficiently I was out of the airport and on the train to Shinagawa.  The whole ride was very peaceful, and super quiet.  At JPY 480 one way, it was very economical and efficient way to travel.  Another plus point: the raising run followed the train, draping the urban landscape in a golden hue.





I was already deadbeat and hoping to be able to have an early check in for a nice nap before going out to explore the city.  Imagine my disappointment when I was rejected by the reception for early check in.  The Japanese are very organized and everything needs to be on the dot.  Hence, with a tired heart, I deposited my luggage with the reception and headed out to the world famous (and biggest) Tsukiji Fish Market!  It was so crowded on the Saturday morning, and very bustling as well, with shop owners shouting out to attract customers.  Free tasting morsel of food were commonplace and you could literally eat for free and get full just walking along the street!





I settled at one quaint restaurant for my breakfast.  It was the sweetest bowl of sashimi ever!  It looked small at first glance, but I found myself having a difficult time finishing it!  I guessed it was my tiredness that restricted my appetite.




Since it was still early, I walked along the streets of Ginza and Tokyo station before returning to the hotel, all along feeling very burnt out.



Finally received the keys to my room.  Had a quick shower and dozed off almost immediately upon hitting the bed!  When I woke up 2hours later, I found myself having an unbearably high fever!  What bad luck!  My first visit to Japan, and I was down with high fever!!  Things started to go downhill as I could not get out of room (or bed rather).  The next ting that happened really scare the shit out of me... I started to see blood coming out of my urine!  I began to drink plenty of water and juices, with wild imagination what could have happened.  However, perhaps because of the huge quantity of water I have downed, the blood started to disappear, much to my relief.



I had very simple dinner the first night due to the fever. 



The next day, I woke up with another bout of fever!! It was very depressing to endure fever while one was overseas.. With a couple of pandols, I found my temperature returning to normal range, and headed out to Asakusa to visit the famous Sensoji Temple.  It was a drizzling day, but good that my coat was water proof.  I tried to enjoy as much as possible to sights even with the greys and poor health.  The temple was truly interesting, and impressive!  Especially enjoyed the street with 2 rows of green tiled shops selling local delights and novelty items.





The temple itself was very pristine and well worshipped by many locals.  A pity the rain was incessantly drizzling.



On the way back, I was feeling positive!  I would be visiting a local Onsen for the very first time!  Taking a free shuttle bus from Shinagawa station al the way to the famous Ooedo-Onsen Mnogatatrai.  The place was like a mini Japan, and very popular with the locals!  The food court and resting area were designed in authentic Ooedo-era style, and everyone was given a rope to wear and chill out with.




The Hotspring area was massive, with so many pools to select from.  However, after dipping into one, I immediately felt weak and feverish.  In the end, I had to get out and spend time at the resting area for a short nooze.  That night, I slept only after taking another 2 panadols.

The next 2 days were purely business, with on and off fever, with ramen mainly as my choice of meal.  These ramen were nice even with a sick palate!!




Because I was sick, I tried to have more vitamins and bought the sweetest ever tomatoes!! Anyone going Japan must buy this to eat (and if possible buy back for me!!)



The last meal had to be special and seasonal, regardless whether i had the appetite.  And I mis-understood the menu.  Instead of individual dishes, the dishes were part of a set meal!  Gosh! how to finish them all?!?!?





and Wednesday finally came when I made my way back to Haneda Airport.  I've never been so eager wanting to get home from an overseas trip, some more this was Japan and my very first visit!

Upon touch down, went to the doctor and found out I had e.coli bacteria.... the cause of my fever and blood urine... well, at least I know the cause and cure for it... ANTIBIOTICS!!!!

Japan: I will return to conquer you again!!!

No comments: