Monday, May 11, 2015

Backdating Korea March 2014, Day 5 (Gyeongju, SaRangChae)

(Backdating my first ever solo Korean trip from 22 Mar to 29 Mar 2014)

Day 5:

Super early day today with bruised hips from sleeping on hard floors. Woke up at 5.45am so that I could enjoy the spa one last time before heading to collect my luggage at the subway and grab a cab to the new Haeundae Train Station. As I was early, I took and earlier train and reached Gyeongju by 9.15am. Dragged my now heavier luggage for 20 min before reaching Sa Rang Chae, an over 300 years old residential complex. Very simple room in classic tatami style and no ventilation. No towels even! Gosh, I have to air dry myself tonight.  But the feeling was great. Felt like being transported back to hundreds of years ago in ancient Korea.
















When in Gyeongju, you have to visit the sights. And what better way to do that than cycling! A 6-hour rental cost 10,000Won, and I must have rode over 20km to Bulguksa Temple. Small temple but was rated up there amongst Korean relics. And as with all others I've visited, this was rebuilt and is still rebuilding. 











After Bulguksa, I was drained from the upwards slope ride I wanted to return. But I still had 3 hours left, so I rode along to Bomun to soak in the countryside scenery. 

By the time I reached Bunhwangsa Temple, it started to rain. I could almost feel my pants wet! (Both my pants and coat are water resistant). I could enjoy the open field of the Hwangnyongaa Temple ruins as I rode as fast as I could to the next shelter. I couldn't be bothered to enter other attractions along the way as well due to the rain. 




Eventually the rain subsided, and I hurriedly rode back to the town. I must have cycled over 50 km based on the tourist map today! That's longer than the length of Singapore!!  It must be all the paddling that made me hungry. I bought 4 boxes of local red bean bread without blinking my eyes!! Kinda regretted now due to the weight I have to carry later on. 

Dinner was a simple and random affair of toufu soup and the typical Korean assortment. 

No comments: