Friday, October 09, 2015

Tokyo Day 3 : 26 Sep 2015 (Shibuya & Shinjuku)

I woke up really tired and lazed on bed until 9am before I got off for a shower to freshen up.  2 bananas I bought the night before became my breakfast before I headed out.  Along the way to Shinagawa station, I stopped by a small shrine in the midst of the skyscrapers.  It was oddly interesting to find peace in the midst of chaotic crowd.  


My first stop was Shibuya, and I just had to take a picture with Japan's most famous dog, Hachiko.  Legend has it that Hachiko faithfully waited for his owner to return at the same spot until it died.  His owner didn't return as he was deceased.  After Hichiko, it was a short climb up to Starbucks on level 2 and the junction.  Yes, this is the best place to view the famous Shibuya Crossing.  At each green light, the junction never failed to be crowded by throngs of people moving in all directions.  I probably say there for 45 minutes before I moved on.


A brief walk later and I arrived at Tokyu Hands, a departmental store that sells quirky items and all things Japanese.  The 7 stories building had everything from shoes and cosmetics to luggages and toys.  I got a souvenir soap, bath scrub towel and an onsen mix.


I headed back to Shibuya Station and had lunch at the Tokyu Food Show.  It was a bowl of seasonal fish sashimi on top of rice.  The interesting part was to pour hot soup into the bowl, hence fish soup.  Very light, very fragrance, and perked my tired self up.


After Shibuya, I ventured into Shinjuku territory.  First stop here was the Tokyo Metropolitan Building level 45 to have a bird's eye view of the city.  Well, 2 birds' eye views as I went up both south and north towers.  Unlike other cities high level observations, you really can only see endless flow of skyscrapers and buildings.  It's truly Asia's top metropolis!  I managed to see the Tokyo Tower and Skytree, as well as the massive Yoyogi Park where the Meiji Shrine is located (I'll be visiting the next day).


After the high level viewings, it was time to hit the ground and soak in the atmosphere of a Saturday evening in Shibjuku.  It's really a maze trying to navigate the train station, with so many exits and interconnecting lines.  I got lost quite a few times within the station itself!  But never lose faith, and hang onto your google map app at all times!!  I visited Takashimaya and Isetan, which is the oldest mall in Japan.  


After getting lost a few times (and without wifi), I finally found my way to Ichiran Ramen.  The queue was just horrible.  I understand it's pretty much the same long queues at all its branches.  After an hour of queuing, I was finally seated in my 'cubicle'. The anticipation and long wait fueled my desire to taste this famous bowl of ramen.  Finally it arrived.  Look wise, nothing special.  But I was so wrong!  The broth was sooooo rich and creamy it's just the best I'd ever tasted!  The noodle was cooked firm based on my choice.  The half boiled egg was only so-so. It was so good I ordered another full set of noodles and black fungus with in house special black vinegar to add into my broth!!  Boy was I full but satisfied!

My intended daily onsen was cancelled due to the long queue.  I was so tired and need to hit the bed.  Hence, it was a direct train ride back to Shinagawa station to Prince Hotel.
Instant Onsen that looks like mouth-wash







No comments: