Thursday, October 01, 2015

Seoul Day 2: 15 Sep 2015 (Gapyeong & Nami Island)

Waking up naturally for my favorite morning hot bath, I headed towards the train station for my ride towards the famous Nami Island.  Nami Island is akin to a leaf floating in the middle of the Han River, with plenty of attractions for all ages.

I started my journey from Seoul station and transferred at Yongsan station for the ITX.  After purchasing my ITX ticket, it was a comfortable ride all the way to Gapyeong station.  The ride was smooth and I had my takeaway breakfast on board.  Before long, I alight at Gapyeong station and joined the queue for the shuttle bus.  The ticket for the shuttle bus cost KRW 6,000 and is valid for unlimited rides amongst the attractions in Gapyeong Tourist Region.  

Lunch place at Yongsan Station, not very nice



GapyeongStation


My first stop was to Nami Island. After deliberating for a long time, I'd decided to cross the water via the unconventional way: via Zip-Wire! It cost KRW 38,000 to zip across the river, much more expensive than the conventional river ferry at KRW 8,000 (foreigner discount rate).  However, it afforded me a birds eye view of the scenery. I took the Adventure Course which took me to Jara Island before another short ferry ride to Nami.  It was exhilarating the moment the door opened and I slide towards middle air with nothing but water beneath me!  At 80km/hr, it was very windy and the stop 'threw' me up a little.  But it was great fun!  Afterwards, the 8 minutes ferry ride seemed tame in comparison, but it showcased the serenity of the environment with the calming waters, breeze and luscious greenery. 
Zip Line entrance


From Jara to Nami

Nami Island is around 5km long, and was made famous by the Korean drama Winter's Sonata.  I couldn't care less in a way since I did not watch the drama.  However, the whole island was beautifully manicured with plants and trees that seemed to pop out of fairy tale books!  There were so many tree lined dirt paths, all suitable for that romantic wedding picture shoot.  And as this was early autumn, some red and orange can be seen in the midst of mainly green.  It took me around an hour to complete the slow walk around the island (guess I am a fast walker).

Lots of SG 

SG Again!!!


Nice Autumn leaves

Entrance/ Exit of Nami

After Nami, it's another 2 hours journey back to Seoul.  Dinner tonight was at Cham Sook Gol Korean BBQ.  It was a nice meal with 3 different types of beef and lotsa greens!! And I almost finished one 330ml of Soju, which is amazing since my level of alcohol tolerance has reduced dramatically the past years.  It was then a walk to see the night city within the CBD area, stopping by for traditional Korean desserts.  This is essentially shavings of ice dosed with sweet milk and topped with red bean.  My dad would love this. 


A bit tipsy with the alcohol, I went back to Siloam Sauna Jimjilbang for the night.  Tonight I went for the full body scrub and wash. This cost KRW 20,000 and involved rigorous scrubbing.  I reckon at least 3 layers of skin was removed in the process.  It was kinda therapeutic afterwards with the wash as I was being 'mopped' in foam prior to the cleansing off.  

After soaking in a few tubs, it was time to find a cave to sleep. Tonight I sleep deeply, probably due to lack of sleep the night before.










No comments: