Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Bangkok Day 3 - 17 Jan 2016

After a late night out the day before, it was a lazy wake up again, this time without the aid of an alarm clock.  Today was a solo exploration of the city without my friend. 

I clocked in at the familiar (and very popular) Platinum Mall for some quick purchases.  The initial intention was to grab a cab, but then I realized it was only a 15 walk from Chitlom BTS (accompanied by the harsh rays of the sun though).  After shopping, I gave another shot of the local Thai chicken rice.  Only this time, I had made sure I tried the locally famous chicken rice.  I had gone for a taste last August, but apparently it was the wrong stall!  Kuang Heng was a traditional stall selling chicken rice since the 1930s.  The portion was small, and the rice was mushy.  This was much tastier than the rest I've tried in Bangkok and I can see why it's famous.  However, I still preferred the Singaporean version any day. 

I rushed back to hotel for a quite dip in the pool, which was filled with Caucasians and basking in the glow of midday sun.  It was refreshing since I was sweating tons on my way back!  I checked out of Courtyard (my leisure hotel) and headed to Siam Paragon for some mandatory activities like getting the rich Hokkaido milk, shopping at the Gourmet Market, and catching a 4D movie (The 5th Wave).  What I did not managed to do this round was to get some Montong.  Well, this wasn't exactly a leisure trip anyways! 

rich Hokkaido milk with Belgium Chocolate
After movie, I headed back to Courtyard to pick up my luggages and took a cab to Holiday Inn Sukhumvit (my work hotel). I was pretty disappointed that Holiday Inn doesn't allow complimentary early or late check in check out.  It used to be my favorite brand.  

Holiday Inn Room
After putting down my bags and a quick change of my top, I headed down to the bustling Silom for dinner at Silom Complex's Banana Leaf Thai restaurant.  Although I'm not a fan of Thai food, I do love their steamed river prawns and fragrant fried rice.  A sweet melon juice was also in order to complete the meal.

Green Curry fried rice
garlic steamed prawns
Some bargain shoppings along the street as well in Silom, which is famous not only for its 'red lights' but also night market.  Oh, not forgetting purchasing essentials at Boots.  I was such typical Singaporean with so much purchasing this trip!!

It was an early return to the room to prep myself for a super early start the next morning.  Oh how I hated waking up at 6.45am!!












No comments: