Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Spatrachina Volume Four

Waking up from a comfy nite's sleep was really difficult, but I had no choice. After 9 hrs of sleep (I had intended to have 10 at least), I dragged myself out of my King sized bed for a quick shower to freshen meself. Today's itinerary will be relaxing as well, visiting 2 attractions before catching a train back to Shanghai. The 1st stop: Han Shan Temple aka Cold Mountain Temple


Incense Burning

Buddha Statute
It's amazing that even during this off-peak period, there were still hordes of tourists in these popular spots. The entrance to Han Shan Temple was crowded with tour groups, both local and international tourists. I cant imagine the peak period of the Golden Week holidays in China. Han Shan Temple is a very famous temple, thanks to a poem A Night Mooring near Maple Bridge written by Zhang Ji of the Tang Dynasty. He beautifully described the midnight bell rings of the temple, which eventually became the symbol of the monastry. Anyway, upon stepping into the temple grounds, tranquility creeped in. Even with the throngs of tourist, one could easily find peace from within. The architecture, the trees, the incense burning all created a calming effect to any visitors.
Hordes of Tourists

HanShan Temple's Main Hall




Incense Urn

Rolls of Scriptures and Buddha Statues

Apart from the famous poem, the temple is also famous for the Puming Pagoda as well as its collection of bronze bells. The pagoda, constructed only in 1995, has become the iconic symbol of the whole temple, evident from the several tourist rushing to get to the 2nd level for a quick view of the temple's ground. But getting up was a task by itself. The stairways was so narrow and steep, but has to allow for duo directional flow of human traffic.. Jus imagine everyone was in their autumn wear, all plump and sturdy, squeezing with each other trying to get up, or down, the stairs.:P

Puming Pagoda

A Night Mooring near Maple Bridge

HanShan Temple Grounds

Of cos, not forgetting the star attraction of the temple, the Bronze Bells. Only one was hung for visitors to view up close and personal. The rest were lying on the ground in an obscure corner. How can one not take an opportunity to snap a photo shot?

Me with the Bell

Bell closed-up

The Bell

My 1hr 15 min tour of Cold Mountain Temple ended with a satisfying note. I headed for Suzhou's must visit attraction. A famous Song Dynasty poet once mentioned that "It's a lifelong pity if you do not visit Tiger Hill when in Suzhou. That's right, the Tiger Hill (also known as Surging Sea Hill) is at 36m high and sprawling an area some 14,100 sqm. It was like walking in a massive park filled with trees and rich in cultural heritage. The moment I stepped in, I was taken aback by the scale of the park. It looked like a lost civilisation admist very well kept and with hordes of tourist all over the place.

Entrance to Tiger Hill

Map of Tiger Hill's massive compound

At the foot of Tiger Hill

Boatmen by the river

The star attraction was the Tiger Hill Pagoda, which is also known as China's Leaning Tower. (funny so many buildings and pagoda in China claimed to be China's Leaning Tower) The pagoda was more than 1000 years old, and looked every part of it. Situated on the peak of the hill, it did look as though it will just crumble into pieces anytime.

Tiger Hill Pagoda

Another popular spot was the Sword Pool, a natural spring of water where legends say that King He of the Wu burried his collection of precious swords underneath the spring floorbeds. Well, I jus saw some very artificial bubbling of water in the very clear waters.
Sword Pool

Along the way, I met some friendly locals. Well, not exactly local locals. They are students from Nanjing here in Suzhou for a short holiday break. Their warm and hospitality took me over as they volunteered to help take photos for me, and accompany me as we explore the Tiger Hill park.

Me at Han Han Spring

Me along the steps

With my newly-made Nanjing Friends

Bamboo Forest

Amongst the tea plantation

At the entrance of the Tea Plantation

At a Pavilion

Self Taken Photo A glimpse of Tiger Hill's scenery
The new found friends have occupied my time in a very wonderful way. Their hospitality overwhelmed me, so much so that I ran late for my scheduled train to Shanghai. The train was supposed to depart at 3.30pm, but I was still mingling with my new friends up till 3pm then I got onto a cab and rush to the train station. Luck was definitely on my side that day. I managed to join the horrifyingly huge crowd to board the express train to Shanghai. The train was spacious and clean, very unlike the ones I had the last time I took a train in China. The 45 min journey was quiet and serene with the view zooming by as the sun began to set.
Suzhou Train Station
My Scheduled Train Service from Suzhou to Shanghai
The Crowd boarding the train
My Lunch for the day

Spacious Train Interior
Returning to Shanghai, I caught up with Katt, who brought me to this rather hi-class Yunnan restaurant serving superbly great tasting dishes. The night was mostly spent there in the restaurant chatting before we headed for a club area to explore the Shanghai Night Scene. Not much diff from any clubs I've been to I supposed. It's still filled with loud music and dark corners. :P

Lost Heaven: Yunnan Restaurant

No comments: