Monday, November 19, 2007

Spatrachina Volume Eight

I woke up today worse than before. My throat was basically parched and dry. It's like water poured into the sand, my throat just cant be moisted at all. I couldnt manage any speech for the better 1/2 of the day. But then again, today would be the toughest day of my trip. It was the day we were to conquer HuangShan Mountains.

We woke up really early for our schedule bus ride to HuangShan at the Hangzhou West Bus Terminal. The terminal was spanking new and spacious. Somehow, almost everything in China is now spanking new. Looks like they are really gearing for the 2008 Olympics and the influx of tourists. The moment I sat down in the bus, I covered my eyes with my eye mask and dozed off immediately. So tired, so sick. Jus hoped that HuangShan would be an easy climb later.

New and spacious Bus Terminal

A sick looking me.. so sad.

Hangzhou to HuangShan

My bus to HuangShan. 1/2 way stop at a beautiful location

1/2 way stop: Just woke up
After 3 hours of bus ride journey, we finally reached the base of HuangShan. There, we had a quick lunch of hot noodles. The weather at the base was cool, much colder than Hangzhou, Suzhou and Shanghai. It was then that we took out our gloves and scarf to prepare ourselves for the climb. We were both armed with a haversack bag of clothes and water. I had 3 bottles of 2.5 litres of water on my back, together with all my warm clothings. I reckon the total weight of my turtle shell to be around 5-6kg. Jeremy had around 3-4kg i think. And so, armed with our heavy-duty armour, thick clothings and zealous spirits, we embarked on our journey to conquer HuangShan!


HuangShan Entrance. Paid 200RMB to enter!!

All packed and ready to go!!

Interesting rubbish bin
I guessed after about 30 minutes of non stop climbing up the stairs, HuangShan began to conquer us instead. The cool weather suddenly became a hot and sweaty one. I was beginning to drip water, not sweating. One by one, the layers of clothings began to peel as we ascend the mountain. The steps seemed never-ending, and winding. The beautiful scenery started to fade away as the concentration began to narrow down to ensuring our feet kept moving forward. It was much tougher than any of my gym session. This was basically an intensive cardio session with my 5-6kg bag!!
Long Winding stairs

Shag face with lotsa sweat!

Taking a Breather

Resting Pavilion with great views
After about 1 and half hour, we finally reach an important pit stop to rest. Well, we have been resting along the way sitting on the steps several times. But were we glad to have stop at this pavilion!! We finally got to enjoy the structures of the mountains and the cool breeze. Unfortunately, it was just 40% of the whole trek. 60% more to go!! Sian. My instinct was to take as many photos as I could, and enjoy them later at home since I know I wont be able to fully appreciate the beauty with such strenuous activity going on.
View of the range

Big Lord-of-the-Rings type of trees

Nice blue sky
70% completed, and we rested by a roadside stall and got ourselves a cucumber each. It wasnt really nice, but it was cool and gave the much needed liquid to our tastebuds. Also, it afforded us another reason to rest longer. We ended up sitting there for a full 15 min!
Nice cool cucumber!

View of the Range

6km completed!!

Can u c the image of 2 cats on the right and a rat on the left?

Along the way, we saw several men with bamboo sticks carrying tens of kgs of stuff up and down the steps. These fit guys certainly put a dent to the egos of us city dwellers, many whom are gym regulars somemore. Their acute balance and strength and endurance jus made us looked like little boys.

One of those hard labourers

View of the Ranges

After 3 hours, we finally made it to the top! It was definitely an ardous journey climbing up. Never had I imagine the journey would be so tough. (My dad who has been there b4 didnt even warn me about the toughness!!) By the time we reached the top, my throat seemed to clear and I could finally speak! Talk about fresh mountain air and lotsa exercise to keep one healthy. :P
At the top, FINALLY!!
Our Hotel, BeiHai Hotel

Sunset
Along the way, we met this Argentinian family in China for a long holiday trip. It was so fun to walk with them to the hotel, and then later having dinner together. This trip has certainly exposed me to more than jus the Chinese culture. The frens I've made along the way jus made this trip a special one.
With the Argentinian Family at Dinner

No comments: