Sunday, May 06, 2007

the mask of emotions



On the 5th of May 2007, I finally stepped inside the Esplanade to catch the highly anticipated Phantom of the Opera. I've waited for 12 whole years for it to return to the Lion City, and I didn't even think twice when I purchsed the most expensive ticket of the theatre. Anticipation was building up as I walked into the foyer area, which is really quite different from the upper levels. It's almost like you have paid not just for the best seats in the theatre, you are also paying for the nice reception area, which has a wine bar complete with a snack counter. Huge Phantom of the Opera posters and boards were set up, with extra usherers standing by to offer that extra bit of nice service. Suddenly, I felt like I'm important, amongst a few hundred others.



The Lobby area




The stage set was magnificient! After the first segment of an auction scene, the draps were instantly removed, exposing an elaborated stage adorned with intricately crafted golden statues. The chandelier was jostled up to the food of the theatre and glowed luminously. The whole show was filled with unexpected humour, intense emotional plots, great vocals and superb acting skills. Basically, it was far beyond my initial expectation.


For the price of $145 per ticket, I felt that every dollar was well spent. The props and costumes were so elaborated they took your breath away. The highlight of the show was definitely when the song The Phantom of the Opera was sung, when Phantom rowed the boat amongst the thick blue-coloured smoke which symbolised the sewerage water. The many chandeliers created an almost magical yet mysterious setting that will forever be embedded in my mind. This compared to The Forbidden City when I paid almost $100 for a stage set comprising only an automated metallic gate with weak vocals.




Anyway, back to the show. This was definitely the only show to give me goosebumps several times. At lesat 7 times throughout. The last time a show gave me several goosebump sensation was Chang & Eng, which I think I had around 4 of such occassions. The vocal powers of these actors were simply divine and captivating. In fact, electrifying! I seriously dont mind watching it again, if not due to the costly price tag associated to being in the best seats. The Phantom of the Opera has definitely ignited my interest for theatre, and my appetite for the good seats on the block.
Oh, and one thing. While walking back to City Hall MRT station, we came acrossed this poster for the new Pirates of the Caribbean, with a super cheesy tagline, "Welcome to Singapore". Wonder how much the Tourism of Singapore has paid for Mr Chow to say out those words.. hehe.

No comments: