Sunday, April 09, 2017

Melbourne Day 4: 22 November 2016

The next morning I woke up really late.  Hit the gym (first time in 2016) for a relatively easy work out of treadmill running and simple weights before heading out to the CBD to meet Tania for lunch.  Lunch was at the famous Cafe Alcaston, their speciality was the beef pie.  Unfortunately, they ran out of it that day.  Fortunately, they still had the split beef and chicken pie.  We ordered one pie to share (it's the size of my face!!) plus a plate of salad.  It was a nice cosy restaurant and was quite a squeeze at times as well.  We had such a lovely time catching up.  Well, the last time we met was back in 2007!  




After lunch, I headed to Southbank' South Wharf for some serious warehouse shopping!  I probably spent 3 hours there and ended up with big and heavy bags!  This is definitely a place for serious shoppers looking for a bargain.  They have a wide range of shops from Superdry to Speedo, Calvin Klein to Victoria Secret.  The prices were amazing and I couldn't recall the damage I spent there!  My bag was so heavy it broke when I tried to walk to the nearest tram station!


A BIG Bag of Purchases!!

After dropping my purchases back in my room, I headed downtown again to meet Jackie, my uni friend.  She's Malaysian but has been staying in Australia since graduating back in 2004.  Our restaurant was at tipo OO and they serve fantastic Italian.  A glass of 2015 White Pinot from Curly Flat put us at ease and we reminisced the good old times.













After bidding farewell, I headed to QVM (Queen Victoria Mall).  It was a typical shopping mall design you find in city centers in Australia.  I headed first into Big W and got 8 bottles of the local moisturizers, as well as some souvenir chocolates.  When stepping out of Big W, I chanced upon a liquor shop and search for my Henschke estate wine (anyone will do).  I ended up with the Keyneton Euphonium 2013 Barossa which cost AUD 60.  And what luck!  There was an on going promotion that gift a free bottle of $40 wine with every $60 spend!  And because I was their last customer of the day and it was the last day of the promotion, they threw in another bottle for free!




While I felt happy because I spent $60 and received $140 worth of wine, I almost regretted instantly as I realized I had now 3 bottles of wine plus 8 bottles of moisturizers amongst other items!  I filled my bag pack to the brim and with one hand carrying another and the remaining one an umbrella (yes it was raining as well!), I must have walked 1km upslope back to my accommodation!  It was a nice walk actually and helped me burned off the glorious food I had over the past days.  I had a resulting good night's sleep. 

No comments: