Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Shenzhen/ HK 21 June - 25 June 2016

Yet another business trip this year.  I was already missing holiday trips now!!



The early morning flight arriving HK was smooth.  However, the airport staff was not helpful with my transfer to Shenzhen.  I was supposed to take the ferry to Shenzhen, but was directed to collect my checkin luggage instead.  It was there that I was informed I shouldn't have gone through the customs to collect my bag!  I should have directly gone through as transit to the jetty.  I was so pissed by the staff's arrogant attitude, essentially my situation was due to their wrong instructions.

Well, I had no choice but to take the limo services to ShenZhen.  This was yet another stressful process as there were several firms to choose from and they were rather rough and had no sense of customer service.  It was a blessing that the ride to Shenzhen was smooth, although I had to transfer to local cab to get to my work place, which was another taxing experience altogether.




So Day 1 officially started in the afternoon with work.  Day 2 and 3 were full days of work as well so I would not comment anything here.

Day 4 was check out day, and a Friday.  I extended my trip to the weekend to spend time in Hong Kong.  I had the unpleasant experience of joining the Chinese cross over the bridge to Hong Kong at Futian checkpoint.  There was no queue system and very loud speaking volume was pretty much the norm.  You can tell how the Hong Kongers were annoyed by the loud Chinese.  (I had my fair share of uncultured Chinese people, but I must admit they are not all like that!)

I finally reached Hong Kong after a very tiring 1 hour stuck in customs and took the MTR to TST station to drop my luggage at my accommodation.  The building was ChongQing building, and it was apparently also the filming location of ChongQing Forest, the acclaimed HK movie.  I had no idea what to expect and was stunned when I arrived.  The ground floor was essentially Little India in HK and it was a mess!  Dirty, people fighting, loads of backpackers were common sight!  Well, I'll be here only for a night, and I probably could boast I had spent a night in this infamous building!




I took the MTR to HK island to grab a few boxes of Annie's Cookies (surprisingly no queue at all!) before walking several kilometers to meet up 2 headhunters here who had assisted me previously.  Yes, I was building up the relationship here. ;). This was followed by the must have lunch at Tim Ho Wan at IFC.




Afterwards, I returned back to my accom and take an afternoon nap.  The room was really small and the bed was not even full size single bed!  But it did felt like a first class airline flat bed though.  Haha.  The bathroom was so small you could barely make a turn in it!




After the nap, it was a night of exploring the streets of HK (and visiting the TST branch of Annie's Cookies to grab another 2 boxes).  Dinner was another HK favourite: wanton noodles, nearby my accommodation, before heading back to sleep.




The next morning, breakfast was at the familiar Cafe de Coral before heading to the airport for my flight back home.




Overall, not a perfect trip due to the low service levels I had experienced everywhere I went in HK.  


No comments: